Friday, October 10, 2008

The Do's & Don'ts of Insomnia

Do : Remind yourself that taking a pill to stay asleep isn't the worst thing in the world. (And if even a pill refuses to work..)
Do : Ignore your bladder. Getting up just makes you cold and cold wakes you right up even more.
Do : Close your eyes and repeat the following words, "There's nothing I'd rather be doing than sleeping. Sleeping is fun. Sleep is good."
Do : Ignore your rumbling tummy or keep a bottle of water on your nightstand. That usually works... well not really but it's so much better than what you'd find downstairs.
Do : Tell yourself that last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy that you had to miss will still be there tomorrow, and you don't need to get out of bed right now to watch it.
Do : Keep repeating your 'love-to-sleep' mantra
Do : Keep a notebook by your bed to write down your amazing, world-changing ideas that you're sure to come up with. In the morning you can read them and they will give you a good laugh. (They're never great, and they rarely even make sense, but they can be quite comical)
Don't : Decide that tonight you're tired enough that you could sleep through anything and opt not to take a sleeping pill.
Don't : Lay there concentrating on the sound of your husband's ever-constant snore. It will only infuriate you and bad things could happen.
Don't : Get up 5 times to pee because maybe, just maybe, if you're bladder is empty, you'll finally be able to go back to sleep.
Don't : Lay in bed thinking about all the things you would really like to be doing right now
Don't : Get out of bed and do them
Don't : Go downstairs and do the dishes
Don't : Think about IM'ing your dad because of course he's up too. By the way, thanks for the wonderful gift of insomnia, dad. Love it!
Don't : Watch last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy so you can 'catch up'
Don't : Snack (this is a big one)
Don't : Go back to bed and again start thinking about all the things you'd rather be doing
Don't : Come up with the world's best idea and then lay in bed thinking about how great your idea is and how big of a shame it would be to go back to sleep because then you'd forget all about it.
Don't : Seek out the nocturnal cat for a little company
Don't : Get mad at the cat when it turns out she's not really very nocturnal and she just wants to sleep and she keeps biting you when you try to put her on your lap and pet her.
Don't : Go in and lay with your sweet 2-year-old and watch her sleep (You'll wake her up and she'll cry!)
Don't : Lay on the couch and hope your latest book will put you right to sleep. (It won't. It's way too interesting)
Don't : Blog about your insomniac frustrations at 3:00 in the morning. (and then get back up at 3:48 because you thought of a few things you forgot to put on your list in the first place)

5 comments:

Jillo said...

Oh man, was it actually 3:30 in the moring when you blogged this? Not fun. Although I hear you can be quite productive at 3:30 in the morning, no distractions.
I'm sorry you got that insomnia gene. I got the "me head hits the pillow and that's all I remember until the sun is shining again" gene. It's good, but it drives Kent crazy because I fall asleep mid sentence more often than not.

Brittany said...

Haha you should get online and chat with me! I'm always up working at that time. :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked your blog for about a week and Wow! You always have such fun things going on! Well, the no-sleep thing isn't so fun,..

Tamara said...

Although I'm so sorry you can't sleep, I'm glad I get to read your 3:30 am blog and laugh aloud all to myself. It sounds like you've got the whole insomnia thing figured out. It shouldn't be a problem anymore, right??

FYI, Mike fell asleep at 7 pm tonight and is still fast asleep. He stayed up just a tad too late last night playing with Ryan and Duane and he's totally paying the price. I remember the days of staying up all hours with Mike and having energy to burn the next day. That's ancient history I guess.

Bown Fam said...

in college my roommate and I used to go food shopping at 3:30 in the morning when we couldn't sleep. No lines, it was great.
Now I usually think about cleaning the toilet if I get up and that keeps me in bed pretty well.