Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Ellsworth Sunday Dinner

Every other week we switch back and forth between my family and Ryan's family for Sunday dinners. Through the years our families have grown a lot and it's started to overwhelm our parents just a bit. My mother-in-law asked that the kids take turns hosting the 2nd Sunday each month. Today was my turn. I am put to shame by my sister-in-law's fabulous cooking and although I've recently inherited a couple of new cookbooks (thanks Kim), I still didn't feel like I was up to attempting a meal all on my own. Luckily I remembered my friend Papa Murphy. His pizzas are the best! I can buy them on Saturday, and cook 'em up hot and tasty on Sunday afternoon.

I was a little nervous about hosting this party at my brand new house because there's no yard yet for the kids to play in and I knew that cousins have a way of getting really wound up really fast. Good thing we live right next to a beautiful park. We headed over there and had quite a good time.

Here's Ryan walking to our beautiful park.

The kids ran straight for the sand. Fabulous!
Then of course Carson and Audrey discovered the sprinklers. Which then inspired my father-in-law to start a water fight of his own. Wouldn't be an Ellsworth dinner without that! And of course Ryan wouldn't stop until he was the one to finish what his dad had started. Thanks guys for such a fun night! Let's do it again soon.

Blog Jar: Describe your typical Sunday

I thought this one was appropriate for today. Is it legal to pick and choose my topics? I keep digging through the jar and throwing things back. I'll be honest, there are quite a few topics in there that may never get done. Anyway... our typical Sunday goes a little bit like this

  • 7:00 am - "Ryan, we should get up."
  • 7:30 am - "Sarah... don't you think we should get up?"
  • 8:00 am - "OK.. we really need to get up." Sarah gets in shower while Ryan gets the girls breakfast
  • 8:30 am - Ryan gets in the shower while Sarah spends some time in the bathroom getting all prettied up.
  • 9:00 am - Sarah throws kid #1 in bath and steams Ryan's shirt. Ryan does something... we don't really know what that something is.
  • 9:30 am - Sarah throws kid #2 & kid #3 in bath. Sarah starts shouting out orders for Ryan. Usually fingernail clipping for kids 1, 2, & 3.
  • 10:00 - Sarah runs back in bathroom to do final touch-ups on her beautifying. Ryan entertains kids
  • 10:30 - Sarah does three little blond heads of hair. Ryan does ???? Sarah shouts out more orders about packing up a bag with entertainment and snacks. (actually 'orders' is Ryan's word. I would call them 'requests')
  • 10:59 - run to church
  • 11:00 - Settle into our pew. Things are going well
  • 11:02 - Kids are bored. Tell kids they must wait until after the sacrament for treats and entertainment.
  • 11:15 - The coin toss loser realizes that despite hopes, there will be no listening to the speakers today and takes kid #3 out into the hall.
  • 11:15 - 12:15 - The coin toss winner entertains kid #1 and kid #2 by telling them to try drawing what the speakers are talking about.
  • 12:15 - 2:00 - Drop kids off at primary. Ahhh sweet peace.
  • 2:00 - quick snack
  • 2:15 - 4:00 - Nap time! This is what Sundays are all about. The day of rest!
  • 4:00: drive to either my parents' house or Ryan's parents house.

The rest of the day varies from there. Usually there's some yummy food and a whole lot of fun. We can always look forward to some serious ups and some major drama. At the Roundy's there's sure to be Dr. Mario playin', dancin', singin', joke tellin', kids fightin', brownie bakin', crazy betin', house fixin', deck sittin', pond slashin', and Mt. Dew drinkin'. At the Ellsworth's there's sure to be some Wii playin', pillow throwin', toy room messin', boisterous laughin', picture lookin', picture takin', rice crispy eatin', couch sittin', and reminiscin'.

I love all the fun Sundays we've been able to have and look forward to years and years more!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey...how did you get your pictures to look like that on your blog? And yes...I LOVE Papa Murphy's....perfect for entertaining! And your Sunday sounds like ours, except that our church is still at 9...and Joe never makes breakfast...I'm impressed!

Jillo said...

Your account of Sunday morning could be my family exactly! What do those husbands do all morning? I can get 4 kids ready and myself, pack a diaper and a church bag, feed a baby and throw a load of laundry in all before Kent even makes it out of the bathroom. ;)

I really like your pictures like that. Very cute.

Ryan's Repository said...

We husbands don't do anything....good for nothing. Thank heavens for wives/moms - they save our girls from going to church in their pajamas.