Monday, April 5, 2010

Just Have a Party Instead

Last night I was lamenting to some friends about a couple of really bad days that I have had.  You know the kind... the ones where you just feel like a complete failure in everything you've attempted to do or to teach your children?
A few examples of what I'm talking about are:

  1. My sweet dog deciding to have a nice big accident at my sister's house and then stepping in it and tracking it all over her entire house.

  2. My 7-year-old having way too much fun at my parents' house too notice that she needed to use bathroom until it was way too late.  Then she proceeded to lie to me about the obvious fact that her pants were wet and that it was indeed pee and not water like she wanted me to believe. 

  3. My older two girls taking their hard boiled eggs from their easter egg hunt, going into my parent's basement and deciding that it would be a super awesome idea to throw the eggs at each other.  Yes, they were boiled, but boiled eggs turn to powder quite easily.  Just imagine my parents walls, floors, filing cabinet, pool table, etc. covered with smashed boiled eggs.
JUST TO NAME A FEW!!! 

As I was having a great time being so caught up in my moment of self pity I said to my friends, "Do you ever feel like you're this thin little egg shell of a person and at any minute you could just crack?  I feel like I'm about to have a complete breakdwon any day now."
After thinking for a few seconds, my friend responded with, "Well.... how about instead of having a breakdown, you just have a party instead?"
After sitting there completely dumbfounded for a moment or two, I decided that this could possibly be the best advise I have ever been given.  What a way to see the world!  So to everyone out there I say...although today is following suit with how the last few days have been going, I keep thinking back to his advise, and today I'm having one heck-of-a party in my head!

4 comments:

Missy S. said...

I love it!!! lets take our kids to the park and ensue a snowball war to help us as moms vent the frustration with our little angels in appropriate ways :) pelting them with snowballs :)

Lauri said...

Have a party and stop being so hard on yourself!!! That is the advice I would give. :)

Everyone knows that days like that happen, and I bet the sister who was lucky enough to have Georgia's signature tracked all over her carpet isn't even mad. I am guessing she has had a few run-ins with dogs and poop before…

Miriam said...

Great Idea. I'm glad you posted that. I'll have to remember.

Tamara said...

I'm so sorry you had a bad couple of days. I get like that when the weather is gloomy and then the kids just do their kid things and I feel like I'm just going to cry. I hope today has been a happier day with no peed in pants and hard boiled egg disasters.